9.16.2004

My life in a box

Today, I returned from work to find that my mother had sent me a care package, including Colleen's signature homemade creme de menthe brownies and cookies, pictures of my high school tennis team and a little league All-Star team (Mom wants me to keep this one because I'm standing next to Edmonton Trappers prospect Brendan Harris), and various writing samples from throughout my education, including, but not limited to:

-a packet of exercises I had done in kindergarten, including the number 3 written over and over and lines drawn to connect capital and lowercase A's, b's, and so on;

-correspondence between my parents and the director of the BOCES Young Scholars program, which I entered and later dropped (more on this later) ;

-my sixth grade English journal, which exposed my hatred for everything from nature walk field trips to the Buffalo Bills to school itself (I hope to regale you with entries from this journal in future blog posts);

-every report I wrote for eighth grade health class with Darryl's dad, all roughly 60-70 words of nonsense stretched out to fill three pages;

-an awful (but funny) poem about OJ Simpson as a Black History Month requirement in 9th grade English that could only have been written by a somewhat sheltered suburbanite;

-a short story I wrote in 10th grade about my tight-shortsed global studies teacher;

-an awful recount of the Bay of Pigs Invasion, subtly trashed in red pen by none other than Jim Coccia (of marklow.blogspot fame);

-a sappy coming-of-age novella I wrote in college;

-a copy of Piecework, Bentley's literary magazine, which I contributed to and helped edit my senior year;

After spending hours reliving my youth, I came to two startling conclusions:

1)I've never written well.
2)I've wasted almost all my talents.

Throughout the box, I found letters to my parents, standardized test results, and progress reports all indicating the same thing- this is one brainy little bastard.

"Bryan has so mush to offer his classmates"
"Bryan recognizes numbers to 5... and beyond"
"Bryan is meticulous. His focus never leaves the task at hand"
"Bryan uses humor with skill and sophistication"
"Bryan (in 4th grade) tested better than 96% of 8th graders in math"
"Bryan... won a national award from the league for acheiving perfect scores on monthly problem-solving tests"
"Bryan will be wiping his own ass by the end of the semester"

The list goes on. After reading much of my own work throughout my schooling, I can't help but desagree with those who said I could write, but it's tough to argue with such consistent praise. Which brings me to the question...

What the hell happened? I was a smart kid with promise. I could have gone anywhere, done anything. Here's an update for you, teachers- Bryan lives in suburban Boston, where he pretends to be an accountant for a quasi-religious based non-profit doomed for failure by day and obsesses over a hopeless baseball team (or two) by night. What happened to the kid who won national math competitions and wrote short books at age 6?

I blame college.

There it is, folks. State-regulated public school requirements may have stunted my growth slightly. Teachers who were more fit to stitch NASCAR t-shirts than determine my future (I'm talking about you, Kathleen Burton) may not have helped. But the real reason I haven't amounted to anything at age 24 is Bentley College.

Having realized this, I decided to try to assess which aspects of college I regret and which may have carried some value. Don't take this as wisdom from a self-actualized man, but as advice from a 24-year-old who knows he could have done better, and that there's still time. Here goes the old college try:

On school choice:
Perhaps my biggest regret is choosing a school based on whether I could play singles as a freshman and whether I was far enough from my parents without having too long a drive home. If I could do it all again, I would go to a huge school, where I could change my major to something other than accounting, finance, marketing, or management if I needed to, take classes in something other than the above (perhaps a film class; maybe journalism), meet people who wanted more out of education than to know where to buy the cheapest 30-pack, and perhaps most importantly, paint my face and heckle the opposing team at a women's basketball game without being the only one doing so.

On majors:
There are two basic bachelor's degrees one can achieve; a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts. One studies things that are known and can be mastered. The other studies disciplines that grow every day. My BS in accountancy taught me (or could have taught me, if I were paying attention) everything there is to know about accounting. I read, accepted what I'd read, closed the book, and barely passed the test. Is there any better way to spend four years of one's life than learning enough about something rigid and defined in order to practice that science for the next forty years? A BS gives a man a fish. A BA teaches a man to fish. If only I had grown up in an economy where a skilled fisherman could get a job...

On drugs and alcohol:
I can't say with a straight face that I wish I had drunk less in college. Drinking is a major part of the experience and I probably became a more likeable person as a result of my excess. Marijuana, on the other hand, is not a pastime. I do not regret having tried it, and I certainly never took it too far, but spending 95% percent of the first three years of my twenties with people who would rather smoke a bowl than read a book couldn't have helped my ascent into adulthood much.

On culture:
Perhaps my biggest regret about Bentley is the nearly ubiquitous belief that there's nothing more to life than playing Beirut, downloading the new DMX single, and learning how to play the stocks well enough to retire early. I learned everything about Eminem and Adam Sandler, when I could have been enjoying Bjork and Christopher Guest at the least, if not learning about Brahms and Fellini.

On hobbies:
Once tennis practice got out (or once class got out after I quit tennis after my sophomore year), I didn't do a damn thing. I might have played a little Super Mario Brothers on my computer. Maybe I watched the Sox game and had a beer (or 17). Most importantly, I didn't read a book for leisure from age 18 to 21. I kid you not. I always fancied myself quite the writer, and I do have impeccable grammar and adequate form and can employ humor well, but I've never written anything decent in my life. Given my education, this is not surprising. No one my age should expect anything they put down on paper to come alive if they haven't read Kerouac. If you don't care enough about fiction to read Vonnegut, why try to join the ranks of fiction writers? By comparing myself to the people around me, many of whom had nothing more in their future than a life of underwriting for Connecticut Insurance by day and shotgunning Pabst by night, I assumed I could write better than anyone else. I couldn't. And I didn't make myself learn.

I don't want to close this rant on a sour note. I don't entirely regret going to Bentley. I made some great friends there, and got a degree that could potentially earn me some money. It landed me in Boston, which is a much better place than I once thought. I also realize that there's hope for me yet. I'm 24, not 94. I don't necessarily think I need to go to grad school to learn more and become the person I want to be, as long as I find the right hobbies and surround myself with the right people. I've had a life of good opportunity and good fortune, and have many great years ahead of me. Let's just hope I don't spent them in some dank dorm room playing bongoes to Pink Floyd while the fourth bowl gets passed around.

Next time, I'll make it Wilco.

9 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger HAGC said...

Not sure bongos go with Wilco, but hey, whatever make you happy.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Jill O. said...

Ok, this is a long one. First of all, be glad that you have a box like this and a phenomenal mom to send it. That feel-good notion aside, maybe these types of boxes should not be sent; they should be burned. I guess it's good to remind us from where we have come, but what you did or could do at age 6 or 12 or 20 is not indicative of all that you are. Your writing style now, based on your blog and 'contests' is sharp and funny. You have the ability to experience a situation and then boil it down to the most relevant and interesting points and then convey those points in a way that engages the reader and usually makes him laugh.
Here is another update, teachers: Bryan is well-liked and respected. He draws people to him with his intelligence and humor. He cares about the work he creates and hates to settle for second-rate schlock if it has his name on it. He is a good man with an amazing knowledge of baseball stats. He is also very tall.
As to your college experience, sounds a lot like 'normal' in a lot of ways. And it's done. What you do next is so much more important and the discoveries that you make and the impact you can (and will) have are so much bigger than what books you didn't read and what drugs you did.
The point is you have no next time and you have chosen Wilco right now. So, get out of that damn sinkhole of a workplace and find something that you can enjoy doing. It took me years to figure out my "one thing" and I wouldn't go back to age 6 or 12 or even 24 for anything. Put the lid back on (after you show me some of the stuff) and move on. You're a fucking amazing person and everything that you've experienced up to now has contributed to that.

 
At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - I had not idea this would turn into such a Pandora's Box! I thought you would have a few chuckles and toss the stuff out. Did I do a bad thing, George?
From now on, I'll just send cookies. I think you were a unique child and developed into an amazing adult, but I may be prejudice.
PS: I think the first anonymous comment came from Kathleen Burton!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

Actually, Mom, you did a great thing. I loved reading everything in that box. I had been planning on writing about regrets from my college experience even before I got the package. Reading comments from Gilda at BOCES made me realize that not only did I make very little of my college experience, but probably shouldn't have been at some two-bit business school in the first place. The post might have been subject to some gratuitous late-night melodrama, which makes it read more like a quarter-life crisis than an honest assessment of my past.
Maybe my conclusion should have been more like this: While I didn't get my (and Dad's) $120,000 worth out of college, I'm happy to be in a place in my life now where I can be the dork I was in sixth grade and make people (including myself) happy. I wish my college years were more like the years before and after.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, Bryan, have you heard of therapy? Maybe your mother can pay for that too.
George

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger HAGC said...

Bryan or Brain-
I too went to a 2nd rate business school-LeMoyne-but I was a History major. No amount of liberal arts education makes most people feel any different about college--4 years of drinking, socializing, and occasionally doing some work (unless you are at an Ivy League school, which is where most smart kids go to find out that a) they are not as smart as they thought b) they are surrounded by a bunch of people who are as smart, if not smarter c) no one tells them how smart they are aymore d)they are jealous of their friends who have a life. That's what I keep telling myself....

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger marklow said...

whew... catharsis! I read the title essay from Meghan Daum's collection "My Misspent Youth" a few days ago, and it woke me up to the very lackadaisical attitude I had toward choosing a graduate school. The idea that Columbia, a solid 35,000/year, was a dismissive "sure, okay" in my mind, was as dangerous as saying "sure, City College." I have always been critical of the education I received, and you'll probably hear about it in future postings (more seriously than you have already). I think your assessment of college's supposed service to your life is a topic worth exploring further. This posting doesn't settle anything in my mind about your college life, your craft, your childhood. It sets some of your doubts in the light, and does so while hinting at a style that engages readers. Trust that you know techniques you never would have learned in college anyway, and pay attention to the structure of your sentences more carefully (at the ends of paragraphs esp.).

I wrote a short paper two semesters ago comparing your technique of reviewing music to Del's. I'll forward it to you, its a tad flattering. Be glad the Oscar Wilde quote below refers only to how your essay could've turned out, and not how it actually did; as a compelling, sincere piece of writing.

"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes."

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ!, BMOC online is looking good. I must confess it's been a while since I've visited. Interesting article on the college days. I wasted cash on tuition too. I've got to confess myself that in my last job I didn't even need a college degree, and in my new one I dont' either (I've quit my mortgage broker job to become a Realtor). On my last day of college, I recall my roommate saying "it's only going to get better from here on in". I try to live by the philosophy, which is best coined by Peter of Office Space "(this is the) best day of my life". Don't spend a second regreting anything. It's a waste time to dwell on mistakes. Learn from it and move on. Look at life right now this very second and ask "What can you improve today, and what will you improve tomorrow?" Nice work on the site it's sweeeet. - Byron

 

Post a Comment

<< Home