7.18.2007

10,000 Days

Not sure how I forgot to mention this in my last post, but the wife took me to see every librarian's favorite band, Tool, last Friday at the Cumberland County Civic Center (heretofore CuCoCiCe). Not my kind of show, I suppose, but a phenomenal display nonetheless, in support of their most recent album, 10,000 Days. While rocking out to songs I didn't know, I had a near-epiphany and started crunching numbers in my head. As it turns out, last Tuesday was the 10,000th day of my life.

It made me think of the 100th day celebrations we used to have at school to celebrate something like 55% of the school year being over. 100 days back then was an eternity- long enough to change your vocabulary, your musical tastes, your sports allegiances, basically your whole identity. Now I've been through 100 periods of 100 days. And I'm as capricious as ever. Today I'm trying to buy a house. 100 days ago, I was filming a movie that may never be edited and I had never coached a baseball team or played beer league kickball. 100 days before that I was new to Portland, living alone and drinking all the free beer I could handle at United Way happy hours. 100 days before that, Jill was in China and I was trying to tolerate my old job, find a new one, and sell her albatross of a house. Another 100 days back, we were newlyweds, living it up in San Diego, drinking red ales on the beach at noon.

Where will I be 100 days from today? Time will tell, but I've got big plans. And lists to make.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home