12.12.2004

Theo, I Hardly Knew Ye

I've wondered for the past few years whether the Red Sox would be as appealing after winning a World Series as they were during their 86-year-drought. Watching this team win a World Series, I was so enamored that I considered applying for "fan for life" status, something I've never offered any team in any sport. Then Curt Schilling urged fans to vote for Bush and I was able to look past it. Then the Sox made it public that they wouldn't pursue Orlando Cabrera, one of the most likeable '04 Sox and a key to this year's title. I was able to overlook that too, even if Varitek didn't come back either, because I got so much enjoyment from watching the Sox this year.

This weekend, the baseball world in New England turned upside down. The Sox dropped their bid on Carl Pavano, letting him slip to the Yankees, and signed David Wells. David Wells will wear a Red Sox uniform this year. It's very possible that the top of the Sox' rotation this year will be a proselytizing Republican, a whiner who can't accept the fact that he can no longer be effective into the seventh inning, and a fatass who once wore Babe Ruth's game-worn hat on the mound, even though he knew he would be fined, then claimed to be "half-drunk" when he pitched his perfect game. Do I even like this team?

Right now, I have to say yes, becuase I can't let two or three players I hate stand in the way of my love affair with the team that just completed the greatest comeback in sports history against sports' most evil franchise. I think the most important thing Red Sox Nation can do now is to let the Sox front office know how unacceptable the Wells signing is. The Sox had to adopt a "win at any cost" mentality to keep up with the Yankees. Now they need to balance winning with keeping their fans happy. Boo Wells relentlessly for the first half of the year. Don't let your kids wear Wells uniforms or drink 40's in the dugout at their little league games. Let his ridiculous two-year contract run out and watch him get replaced by a Mark Mulder or a Josh Beckett. Wells or no Wells, these are still the Red Sox.

In non-tragic news, Jill and I bought a Christmas tree for her house today. Decoration has begun. That is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home