10.28.2005

Emptiness

Now that baseball's over, I'm not sure what to blog about. In past non-election year Octobers, even when I blogged just about every day, I never had much to say beyond how I hated this year's Y*****s more than ever before.

I suppose I could talk about the weather. It's cold. Too cold, too fast. It's even colder inside my house. On Saturday night, we lose an hour, so it'll be dark out before I can even think about driving home.

And there's always football, right? It's pretty tough to get excited about a sport in which my favorite team has won three of the last four Super Bowls. I haven't watched more than ten minutes of a game yet and I don't see that changing until teams start clinching playoff berths.

Halloween's coming up. I have to be excited about that this year and for the rest of my life, since it's more important to Jill than her birthday, Christmas, and 10,000 Super Bowls combined. Still, how can I get excited about a holiday that has nothing to do with my personal lord and savior, Jesus Christ?

There are some real holidays coming up, but I still don't know where I'll spend Thanksgiving or Christmas, as a geographical rift between my family has clouded our vacation planning.

I have been adding to my iTunes when I can find a serviceable computer lying around the house. Recent additions include Sinatra's "In the Wee Small Hours" (not excited yet), Captain Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" (that'll take a few more listens), the first Ramones album (fantastic, but I wish I bought it when I was younger and didn't get a headache listening to it), the Buzzcocks' "Singles Going Steady" (just as good, and already a topic of debate over its eligibility for the albums list), and the Yardbirds' "Roger the Engineer" (starts out awful but redeems itself). I'm starting to prep for December's third annual QHS 200, but we're all resigned to the fact that it can't match this year's songs list.

Also, if you havne't heard, I'm getting married in April. I am excited about this, but the last ten months of engagement have seemed like ten years, and wedding planning snags keep popping up (read: please send money).

I guess that's all I've got. Back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home