11.27.2006

Longing for the Oldies

If my first eleven weeks at the UDub were marked by one thing, it had to be the incessant oldies coming from the cubicle next door. Every day, I was nauseated by Blood, Sweat, & Tears' "Ride, Captain Ride" and some awful song about Cherokee people- so proud to die!. Of course, I also got four different Beatles songs at 4:00 every day and gained a new appreciation for the Hollies and some of Chicago's early work.

I learned this morning that weeks twelve through fifteen will be entirely oldies-free. The station has switched to a 24-hour Christmas station, and the old man next door doesn't seem to have noticed. It's not even 2:00 and I've heard a Christmas original from Britney Spears, the worst Christmas song I've ever heard, "performed" by what I can only assume was Clay Aiken, and "Feliz Navidad" twice. Some towns can't put Christmas trees or nativity scenes up anymore and most public schools can't have Christmas concerts anymore, but nobody's stepping in to assure that I don't have to hear Amy Grant sing "Sleigh Ride" twice a day for a month. Christ.

On a happier note, I had a lovely Thanksgiving with the Jeffreys in Framingham. Food was plentiful and delicious, mornings were full of sleep, and evenings were full of alcohol. Jill and I caught the hilarious new Christopher Guest movie, "For Your Consideration", on Saturday, in between Jack Arnold's burritos and Vietnamese food with Nick and Heather in Allston, and were able to relax in our home on Sunday. Not half bad.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful there, or you'll have the Claymates after you next. ~Thea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home