2.01.2005

On better days

I promised a happier entry sometime this week. Here goes:

I don't have my bed and my clothes in the same apartment.
I don't have a familiar job with an easy commute.
I don't have all the time to do the things I want to do.

What I do have, however, is a girl who stayed up past 2 on Sunday night destroying her arms and hands with a heavy steamer, trying to strip wallpaper so that we can move in sooner. A girl who makes dinner for me almost every night, all the while juggling a full-time job, endless home repairs, and (until yesterday) a car that could hardly get out of the driveway. A girl who watches movies with me even though I fall asleep in the first half hour every time; who gets me gifts for occasions as trivial as the one-month anniversary of our firt date and my last day at the Library; who adopts calling the New York AL baseball team the Satans so as not to offend me; who suffered through scores of Scrabble losses before beating me (which she does more often now), but kept playing and obeying my "no touching during Scrabble" rule; who lets me make fun of her age but rarely makes fun of mine; who makes time for my family, and even time away from hers. A girl who puts up with my whining in futile hope that it will someday stop.

And the Red Sox are World Champions. I've got it pretty good.

4 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very nice blog, Bryan. I hope you are as nice to your "girl" as she is to you. mgo

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

nah

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Jill O. said...

And in return, I have: a boy who gets things off the top shelf for me every time I ask; who compiled a list of our top moments together from last year, with dates, and understood that that was the best kind of loveletter with which to propose spending the rest of our lives together; who eats anything I cook, even when I 'experiment'; who loves baseball and games as much as I do; and who held my newborn niece with the same ease that he shows when letting his own niece climb all over him. I think everyone wins here.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have made a very nice impression on your west coast cousins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home